A decent breakfast is the best start to the day. When Tiff wasn’t fasting, this was her favourite breakfast. Full of energy and goodness as well as being really easy to make. Bonus!
Let’s start with the oats and more importantly, getting the right ones. Organic, gluten-free jumbo oats are the ones to look for. Why are they so good? Well, they’re a natural product and full of antioxidants. They can lower cholesterol as well as keeping you fuller for longer, aiding a healthy diet with less snacking.
With this breakfast, Tiff also adds in flaxseeds, chai seeds, linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and goji berries. There are loads of options for mixes of these on the high street making them more affordable and easier to try. Theses are some of the ones in Tiff’s cupboards but please shop around as they’re are so many options.
Tiff soaks the oats in oat milk but you can add any liquid you love. Almond milk, cow’s milk or even water. Try a few combinations and pick your favourite.
You can also add fresh fruit and yogurt to these oats. Or make them a bit more wintery by adding some cinnamon and fresh apple. There are so many options. The recipe itself—if we can call it that!—is really simple which is what makes them so good.
- 50g jumbo oats
- 100ml oat milk (or milk/water of your choice)
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds of your choice. Flaxseeds are brilliant!
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp Manuka honey
- Before bed, place the oats and your milk of choice into a jar or bowl. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
- In the morning, loosen your oats with a little more milk and gently heat for 4–5mins, stirring slowly so it is warm but not boiling hot, like cooking soup. Don’t make it boil as for a quick everyday breakfast you want to eat it easily and quickly.
- Serve in a bowl with your favourite topping or use your small Frank Green cup to keep it warm. Add honey and enjoy at work.
Tip: if using a cup or flash, you can store your toppings separately.
Honestly it’s the best start to the day. So delicious.