Well, as we’re in another lockdown why not add a banana bread recipe on here! This one is particularity exciting and it also fits into my (Tori’s) new diet. At the start of the year I’ve deleted processed sugars and refined flours out of my diet—so I can make, cook and eat this guilt-free. I also wanted to see how it tasted with some turmeric in there too. The answer? Delicious!
What makes this banana bread different?
No butter, sugars and a healthier flour.
I made my banana bread using 100% whole wheat flour, unlike traditional banana bread recipes that call for refined flour and lots of processed sugar.
This banana bread is naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup, which offer some trace nutrients that white sugar does not. I didn’t use our Manuka honey as lets face it—it’s gold dust! But of course you can if you choose!
Lastly, this recipe calls for a reasonable amount of unrefined oil rather than whole sticks of butter; choose from virgin coconut oil, extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil.
And of course you can use any flour you choose as well. There’s a few listed below—oat and almond are trickier so if you do want to use these I’d mix them with one of the other flours.
- All-purpose flour
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- Spelt flour
- Whole wheat flour
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- White whole wheat flour
Turmeric banana bread recipe
Makes 1 loaf.
- 75g melted coconut oil (or other oils)
- 168g honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 56ml milk of choice or water
- 220g grams flour of choice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- Few cracks of black pepper
- ¾ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
I used some sliced almonds on top but please add in anything you like. Chopped walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, raisins, chopped dried fruit, fresh banana slices and extra cinnamon on top.
- Preheat oven to 165°C and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt, pepper, turmeric and cinnamon and mix to blend.
- Add the flour in and mix until just combined. Some lumps are ok! If you’re adding any extras, gently fold them in now.
- Add to a pre-lined loaf tin or cake tin. Sprinkle the almonds on top. Cook on the middle shelf of your oven for 50–60 mins. The bread is cooked when a stick comes out clean. Serve warm from oven or toast for breakfast.
Let us know how you get on!